Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year!

I am not a big believer in New Year’s resolutions, but I am a big proponent of taking time to reflect. In our rush, rush, 24-hour news cycle world it is easy to lose perspective and get pulled along by the tide of all the stuff we feel we have to do, while totally losing track of the things that are really important. So, with a new year dawning, I find it very valuable to take a step back. To take stock and to look ahead with an eye on the big picture, without so much regard for the niggly little bits.

So, this New Year's Eve, or the day following, I'm going to try to take a little time to reflect back and to look forward. Watch some football, or a good parade, and just relax with friends and family. A lot happened in my life in 2008: <.shameless plug.>I published my history of the Village of Caledonia < /plug >, I left my job at UW-Parkside after eight years and I took this one in Mukwonago. Now my family and I are looking to move to the Mukwonago area.

All very exciting, good things, but all stressful nonetheless. And it is easy to forget that even good changes are stressful-- people aren't built to live in a constant state of stress. We need time to relax, recharge and refocus. The beginning of a whole new year is a perfect time to do that.

Happy New Year to everyone!

No comments: