Thursday, May 21, 2009

Listen to the 2nd Graders

My eight-year-old son wanted to visit a website yesterday. I figured it was a page full of various flash games, or perhaps something along the lines of Club Penguin. I asked him what the website was, and he replied, "Thisissand.com." Leaving me puzzled and wondering if I had misheard him.

"This is sand?"

"Yup."

"What's it about?" I ask.

"Sand," he replies. Totally deadpan. Sometimes I wish I hadn't taught my children the concepts of sarcasm and facetiousness.

"What do you do with the sand?"

"You can change its color and make little mountains and stuff."

"Okay," I said, thinking that it sounded rather dull and wondering what the attraction of sand is for a second-grader. A sandbox, sure, both he and my daughter both still enjoy the sandbox, but a website for colored sand?

Turns out, it's a hoot. It shouldn't be-- make sand-looking pixels appear on the screen with your mouse and let them "fall" down the screen to make hills and such. Change the colors if you'd like (using the C key). Repeat. Sounds dull.

It's not. Try it out-- it really is a lot of fun. Very creative, yet amazingly simple and a lot of fun to mess around with. Then check out the gallery. And imagine how long it must have taken to create some of the images. Yikes! I did this one last night.

thisissand.com Who thinks of this? Well, go to the blog to find out.

No comments: